Saturday 30 November 2013

Wheely Bin Project


For this I tried not to build a generic looking wheely bin, I found this one that looked a bit more challenging to create. The irregular shape of the bin caused my tri count to rise, sculpting the indent around the wheels and the curvature of the lid proved to be most taxing on the tri limit.


Another reason I choose this bin was that it had imagery on both the front and sides, most other bins I found looked quite bland and uninteresting. The problem with having the '56' on the both left and right meant that the left and right side needed their own individual texture space, which meant that the overall resolution of the textures would be lower than if the left and right side use the same texture space. Fortunately the resolution didn't prove to be a massive issue when the texture was applied to the model.

In hindsight I should have used smoothing groups on the indent around the wheel to improve the resemblance to the reference. I also made a big mistake for the hand in, the settings for the alpha maps were wrong on the version I handed in, so the wheels had white squares around them. Apart from these issues I am pleased with the overall outcome of the project.


No comments:

Post a Comment