Sunday 16 November 2014

Final Week of Sentry Gun Project

Finally I got to the texturing, I initially intended the upper hull texture to be that similar to a solar panel as a dark blue purple because it’s supposed to be a high tech active camouflage. I really wasn’t happy with that so I tried out various colours until I got to white with a black trim. To give the active camo panels more of an interesting surface I added dots to the roughness map to insinuate a high tech surface. A lot of the materials on the turret are supposed to be a sort of matt painted metal, so I used a grey on the metalness map because it’s not solid paint, nor is it naked metal. I used projection mapping to add normals to some of the less detailed parts of the mesh. I added grime and dirt to the white areas to make it look as if it’s been used, I put light dirt collecting around the edges of the panels and then spots of mud near the floor at the front, I adjusted the roughness map to look less shiny where dirt had collected on it.


I also made a camouflage texture sheet to show that the turret can change colour



I noticed near the end of the project that the legs would probably not support the weight of the turret so I bulked them out through a couple of iterations




I think this project turned out okay, I’m pleased with the mesh, I’m very happy with my unwrapping and packing and I’d say it’s the most efficient unwrap I’ve created to date. I’m happy with how the active camouflage areas look with the dotted roughness and added dirt and grime.



As I said above I altered the legs later on in the project, and although they’re better than they originally were they still aren’t perfect, they wouldn’t be able to actually move an awful lot if an actual leg was designed like that, but due to time restrictions I couldn’t go back to add and alter geometry which would have resulted in taking away tri’s elsewhere on the model which wasn’t really an option long after the whole thing was unwrapped and halfway textured. The textures lack detail in places such as the joints and the underside of the hull, and although these areas aren’t really visible it would still have been nice to see some detail in those places. An initial stretch goal for this was to rig the mech and set it on a simple walk cycle, with the whole leg re design and the fact that I spent about twice as much time concepting as I should have I was unable to do this. As another stretch goal I intended to possibly have the texture of the active camo change in engine




 So to improve this project I would have made sure that the legs looked like they could support the weight of the hull as well as function properly. I would rig the mech and run it on a walk cycle, I’d give more attention to detail in the textures of the joints and underside of the hull, I’d setup the active camo to work in engine and I’d add sound effects to the gun as it fires.



Wireframes:



No comments:

Post a Comment