Sunday 9 November 2014

Week Two of Sentry Gun Project



I spent all of Monday iterating on the most favourite design from my silouettes and came up with these designs.


None of these are any better than the original design so I just began modelling the original silhouette.



I was concepting shapes as I was modelling in 3Ds max, I did this because I work much better when designing something 3D in max rather than painting.



Rather than moving onto texturing as I normally would, I took the mesh into engine to ensure that the turret worked properly so that there would be no chance of me rushing at the end of the project with something I wasn’t familiar with. Putting my meshes into the blue print didn’t pose great difficulty; most of my time was put into getting the projectile to fire correctly.


The projectile was originally set up to have a slow and heavy round which ejected the cartridge nowhere near the barrel, I’m making a rail gun which doesn’t have a cartridge but it has a casing around the projectile which splits away from the projectile shortly after leaving the barrel. So to get the projectile to fire fast and straight I increased its initial speed to 4000 and reduced the projectile gravity scale to 0 in its blue print, I did try having the speed at 7000 which although would be more accurate, it means that you cannot see the projectile in the air as it travels towards you. To get the ejector to look convincing I moved the socket to the barrel mesh and put one either side of projectile socket, one of them rotated 180 degrees so they’d shoot out at opposite trajectories as if they were splitting apart from the projectile. When I was getting shot by the turret to begin with the gun was facing down towards the players crotch area, to fix this I restricted its aiming angle to -5 degrees. To make it seem more like a rail gun I reduced the rate of fire to give each shot appear to have more impact.

I ran into some problems while working in engine...

Quite a few actually...

No comments:

Post a Comment